Friday, October 7, 2011

I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires


Civil War Series, Book Two
By Cathy Goelke
Genre: Christian historical fiction
My Rating: 4 1/2 stars


Summary: "The bonds linking family and the lines separating enemies have become very blurry for 17 year old Robert. With his father away fighting for the Union, Robert must decide to act alone in order to help his ailing mother, extricate his injured Confederate Uncle, and bring relief to his cousin, Emily.When he unwittingly gets entangled in a Confederate escape plot, Robert must forge his anger and shame into a new determination to save his family. And, perhaps, he must also realize that the saving might not be entirely up to him.Honor and duty to God and country aren't as clear-cut as he hoped them to be."


Although I definitely liked the first book, William Henry is a Fine Name, in the Civil War Series better, this one was still as poignant and still a page-turner. I learned a lot about the Civil War in a captivating way and was pleased to see that Cathy Goelke's stunning writing style had only improved in this book.

This book was wonderful to read after learning about a lot of the characters in the first book, but could definitely be a great stand-alone book as well.

My biggest disappointment with this book was the end--first of all, that it ended, and secondly, that it ended so perfectly. Granted, these characters went through A LOT to get to the end, but then everything tidied itself into a perfect little bow. Still, an enjoyable read and highly recommended.


Oh, and P.S. Both of these books are currently paperback Bargain Books on Amazon. William Henry is a Fine Name is currently available on Amazon for only $2.77 and I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires for $5.60.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)