Sunday, December 4, 2011

Creativity is Bold: da Vinci Style


Leonardo da Vinci had notebooks FILLED with doodles and sketches and theories.  He also made several incredible paintings.  Some of which he never finished.  No one knows why, but I wonder if it's because he began to doubt the direction it was going. Or maybe he wanted to begin his next project.

Creativity is brave.Either of those theories seems encouraging to me.  It makes him seem more human, and not like a creativity god.  I mean, I seem to flit from one project idea to another.  And I often doubt my projects and abandon them.  Eventually I return to them, but sometimes weeks or months later.

When I think about my own creativity, I've realized I lack boldness.  I let my doubts and fears and a ridiculous amount of time on social  media sites, stop me from writing for days, weeks, or even months at a time.  No wonder it's taken me three years to finish writing and revising my manuscript.

I wish I could be more like da Vinci.  Bold.  Inquisitive.  Creative.  Productive.

But I must admit, when those moments of creativity strikes, when the words just flow and flow, it's an incredible feeling.  I wonder if da Vinci lost that incredible feeling because he experienced moments of creativity all the time. 

What about you?  Are you feeling bold?  Creative? 

3 comments:

  1. Tired! LOL! But I guess that's the intense holiday season more than anything! LOL!

    Yay for being bold, confident and creative!

    Oh I wish I could get tickets to see the Da Vinci exhibition here in London. Sigh!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the creativity quote. It's taken me 3 years to write/revise my first book but I think the next one will go faster. I feel more confident and bolder now than I did 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent point Ghenet! I've learned so much about the writing process, the next book should go much faster. And yes, much more confident then 3 years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)