"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars/but in ourselves, that we are underlings."
William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar (Act I, Scene ii)
The summary of this book is simple: two teens with cancer fall in love and question if when they die, they'll be remembered.
The point of this story is profound. So profound I'm still marinating in all that John Green was trying to say about life, cancer, love, and so much more.
As I started reading, I didn't want to get too attached to the main characters, Hazel and Augustus, figuring someone had to die and it'd be easier if I wasn't connected to the characters. But alas, John Green did not give me that courtesy. He made me love these characters, love their love for each other, love their ideals and thoughts about life.
I almost didn't read this book. I'd heard I would need a box of tissues while I was reading. It sounded depressing and I wasn't sure I was up for a book that had the potential to make me cry. I write science fiction/dystopian so I like reading those type of books. But wow, am I glad that I read this book. Because it's not just a contemporary romance. It's not just a cancer book. It's so much, I can't even put it into words. It left a mark on me, like the characters longed to do in other peoples' lives.
Well done, John Green. I am in awe of your writerly genius.
Find out what others have to say about this book at Tracey Neithercott's YA Book Club.
I also tried not to get too attached to the characters and failed! I agree - this is so much more than a romance or a cancer book. It'll stay will be for a long time as well. I'm glad you ultimately read it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review and intro to this book - it sounds like the story should be harrowing and depressing but it sounds like the story transcended these to be profoundly inspiring! Take care
ReplyDeletex
I didn't stand a chance against Augustus... I fell for him almost immediately, lol. And, while I think that I would still give the advice to read this book with a box of tissues, I think that's a little misleading. You're right, that does make it sound like it's a depressing book, but it's really not. It's so so so sad, but it's not really depressing.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I was not sure about reading this novel and I was wary about becoming too attached to the characters. But since John Green introduced us to loving, warm people, it was simply impossible to resist.
ReplyDelete"It left a mark on me, like the characters longed to do in other peoples' lives." --> beautiful and true.
Wow. You make it sound great. Thanks for the review.
ReplyDeleteI read in another review that it seems to mock religion a bit. Did you get that feeling?
ReplyDeleteThere was profanity in the book, as well as a few mentions to religion, but I didn't view it as mocking. I viewed it as people with a fatal disease trying to deal with life the best they knew how. I could see how someone might view it as mocking, but I did not.
Delete