Haha, that looks awesome! And it got me thinking: what was it about The Hunger Games that makes it so awesome? Suspenseful? Different?
So, back to my question, what makes it so awesome? I determined to figure it out by rereading the book. You know, for research. So I opened the book, focusing on the word choice, the imagery, the descriptions. Beautiful. Love it! And then the last line of the first chapter did me in. I went back to turning those pages, flying through the book, though I already knew how it would end. I devoured that book again.
I debated reading it a third time. But I think the same thing might happen. Maybe I need to read it backwards. Read the last chapter, then the second to last, etc. Who knows. Somewhere in that book is the secret to Suzanne Collin's success and I want it.
So, I'm asking you, please help me out. What do you think is Collin's secret? Characters? Plot? Word choice? Chapter endings? What did she do to make The Hunger Games such a success?
I admit to not reading it but have seen a movie poster of it up in one of the stations I passed on my way to work!
ReplyDelete:-) Take care
x
The Hungers Games works because it's the whole package: deep characters, interesting world, high stakes, perfect pacing, and the way she creates suspense is ingenious. (Try getting to the end of a chapter and NOT turning the page to find out what happens.) The prose is great and the voice... perfect. One chapter in and you know everything you need to know about Katniss.
ReplyDeleteI use the Hunger Games as my beacon of what I want my novel to be: so compelling that I couldn't put it down until it was finished and even after, I still pick it up every now and again because it's that good.
I can't wait for the movie. :)