Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cupcakes and Writing: Molten Lava


For me, cupcakes are kind of like my writerly mascot.  Well, so begins the Cupcakes and Writing series.  Each Wednesday another cupcake flavor will be compared to an aspect of writing.  Well, until I run out of flavors, or inspiration, whichever comes first.  If you've missed any of the last ten cupcake flavors and want to read them, you can check them out here.  Bon appetit! 

Molten Lava: Story Twists

Have I mentioned how much I like chocolate?  Well, I’m addicted to the stuff.  So if I can have a chocolate cupcake oozing out even more chocolate, well, then I’m in heaven.  My mouth is right now drooling at the thought.  But, usually I’m unaware that there is added bliss right inside the cupcake.  All I see is a chocolate cupcake, and I happily dig in.  And then, to my surprise, (and delight!) I find more chocolate oozing out, and I’m one happy woman.  I love that kind of surprise.

Have I mentioned that I love to read good stories?  Well, I do.  But if as I’m reading, something great and unexpected pops up, well then I’m in heaven.  I dislike those stories that are so predicable I know every thing the protagonist is going to experience and how the story is going to end.  But if there’s a twist, something I wasn’t expecting, well then I’m glued to the pages, and in awe of the author who was able to blind side me.  I like to be blind sided while reading. 

I hope I can do the same as a writer.  I like to think that the story I tell contains surprises and twists that weren’t expected, and that keep the reader glued to the pages.  In fact, I think that’s one of the differences between my latest manuscript and my first one.  My first one had no surprises.  It was too predictable.  And lame.  It’s a dry and crumbly chocolate cupcake, not at all appetizing.

The hard thing to balance when you throw out those surprise twists, is that you oftentimes want to carefully lay out a few clues as to what might happen.  You bury the clues discreetly, the surprise ready and waiting to emerge and bring new life and enjoyment to your story. You don’t want your readers to guess correctly what your surprise is, but you don’t want them to be like “Whoa, where in the world did that come from?”  You want them to think, “Oh, of course, I should have seen that coming!”  Yep, that’s a hard thing to balance indeed.

As a reader, how do you feel about story twists?  And if you’re a writer, how do you incorporate twists into your story?

5 comments:

  1. My goodness -molten lava is totally yum!!!

    I think that's why I like writing flash fic - it forces me to create a good twist because you really watch your word count! But I so agree - it's a very delicate and very hard balance to get - I'm still learning!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like stories with a twist... especially when the clues are all laid out before hand. Neil Gaiman does this really well.

    I dislike when there are no clues, though. I've often gotten to the end of a series or book and had the "twist" dropped on me and just sat there wondering, "Where the HECK did that even come from?!"

    Those aren't so much fun XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! The clues have to be there, so that if you were to go back and reread (or watch the movie) you're like "duh, how did I not see that?!?"

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I love chocolate cupcakes and well-done plot twists! Great thoughts, Jen. An author once suggested this excercise: as your writing, write out ten possible different directions your story could take. Cross out the first three--they're cliched. Take a close look at seven through ten--there's the plot twist no one saw coming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that advice! I'll have to try that sometime. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)