Thursday, August 12, 2010

Word Painting

My entire WIP is filled with telling, rather than showing. I guess I'm bad at the details. I like to get the story out, why slow it down with description? (Yes, I'll admit, occasionally Siren can be right). But I read an article that has inspired me, and I think it's simply because of the wording. Rather than calling it show, they call it word painting. Letting the words create another world. Apparently there's a book out called Word Painting: A Guide to Write More Descriptively that I definitely need to check out!

Here's a snippet of my current WIP:

  • Tell (with a smidgen of paint): We were walking back to the auditorium when I felt it before I even saw it. A huge wave of light seemed to emanate from the auditorium and rush toward us. It was a light so bright and overpowering that both Charlotte and I fell flat. The stunning sensation enveloped us, and then disappeared immediately.

Yeah, I tried to incorporate some 'show' in it. Check out my next attempt at show:

  • Show (with paint): Before I could even respond what appeared to be a wave of light sprung from the gymnasium and rushed toward us. We both froze in our tracks.

    It crashed over us with such power and intensity that Charlotte and I fell on our backs. The stunning sensation swept over me, making my arms and legs tingle. I heard a dull ringing in my left ear. And then everything simply vanished.


Off I go to add more paint...

Oh, and to read Word Painting. :) See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)