
I have a confession to make. Ok, two.
1) I'm horrible at writing description unless I sit down with the intention of adding description. I find that I have to get the action out before I lose my ideas and so when I go back to revise I add more details and description. And then the process starts all over again when I revise again. Which means I have to go back and revise again and add more stuff. Which leads me to my next confession...
2) I'm worried about my word count.
I have yet to find anybody who agrees on the perfect length for a YA novel. I read some articles that say that YA novels should be 40,000 words or more. Some say even higher. Some say lower. Jeez Louise, what's a YA writer to do?
My goal was to have at least 40,000 words. Two weeks ago my WIP was at 36,000. Another week and another run-through and it was at 38,000 words. Another run-through and it's currently at 39,000. I honestly don't know how much more I can add.
I've decided to not care anymore about how many words it is. If people have different ideas on proper length, than there's nothing I can do to please everyone, right? The point is to write the story I want to tell.
So I'm just gonna write and revise until I'm satisfied with my story. And then only check my word count when I need to write a query or are asked by a publisher. ;)
So what's your current writing confession? And what do you do to make yourself let go of those worries?
Confession 1: I don't write description well either.
ReplyDeleteConfession 2: Putting my work out for others to see scares me to death. What if they don't like it?
CD
Have you had any beta readers yet? I found that my beta's suggestions/requests for more detail helped me add to the word count. Sometimes, we're too close to see where we might need more detail in a manuscript.
ReplyDeleteI'm in the midst of researching my new WIP and almost ready to start writing. My confession: I'm terrified that I won't do the idea justice. I know it could be a great book and I worry that I won't be able to write it as well as I know it can be.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteA good rule of thumb is to write 10,000 more words than you're actually aiming for. That gives you plenty of scope when it comes to the big edit of superfluous paras etc., and still you'll end up on target word count.
As for descriptions: sit back from the writing, close your eyes and picture the scene then start writing again. ;)
best
F
Clarissa, I'm with you on Confession 2. I guess that means I have 3 confessions. It's like if your readers don't like your story, they're rejecting a part of you.
ReplyDeleteJenna, beta readers have given me a few ideas that have led to additional or expanded scenes. Maybe I should sent it out to even more readers...And I agree with your confession too. Jeez, now I'm up to 4 confessions. ;)
Francine, ugh, an additional 10,000 words? Makes sense though. And thanks for the input on description writing. :)