Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I Heart You, You Haunt Me

I Heart You, You Haunt Me
By Lisa Schroeder

Genre: fiction, verse
My Rating: 4 stars

Summary: "Ava can't see him or touch him, unless she's dreaming. She can't hear his voice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here. 

Jackson. The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. He's back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows no bounds."
summary taken from goodreads.com


Wow.  This was a beautifully told story that is so easy to fly through because it's told in verse.  I've read other books in verse, but this one was nice because it made you feel like you were really experiencing Ava's emotions as she dealt with the tragic death of her boyfriend.  A death she feels responsible for.

Jackson and Ava's relationship seemed to send up some red flags.  Jackson seemed way too possessive of her in real life--makes sense he would as a ghost too.  And Ava's parents were right--they spent way too much time together.  Why would they not in the afterlife too?

The story is definitely more character driven than plot driven and I don't know how intriguing this story would have been if it wasn't told in verse.  The verse is what sells it.  I think the story could have as much beauty if Jackson never was a ghost.  If it was simply Ava processing her grief and her relationship with Jackson.   But I guess the ghost thing adds intrigue.

All in all, an interesting, fast read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)