Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Manuscript's Journey


The intro to my manuscript--and my raspberry tea in my "Cool Writer" glass ;)

It was September 22nd, 2009 that I started writing my story "The Kennedy Renaissance".  It was originally titled "My Creative Masterpiece" until I could come up with its current title. ;)  There were days I would type like a mad woman, the ideas thankfully flowing.  Then there were weeks or even months where I didn't touch the story.

I was teaching middle school English at the time and it was a rough school year for me.  I was also pregnant, so I would come home from work tired, take a nap or just relax, pushing my story aside.  But I wouldn't have traded that school year for everything--it made me a stronger person and inspired this story!

After my son was born in June, I knew I wouldn't be returning to teaching for a while, so I wanted to do more with my time than just be a stay-at-home mom.  Plus, I think I was born to write. ;)  So, it was back to the story.

In August, I wrote every single day.  It was wonderful!  I got so much of the story done.  And I entered a writing contest...to submit the first three chapters of your manuscript.  I liked the prize--all the entered entries would get a critique. How awesome is that!  Then three winners would be chosen to submit a full manuscript for possible publication.  I just entered for the critique, I honestly didn't think I would win.  But I did!

So then I frantically began revising.  All of September and half of October, that's what I was doing.  Editing and revising.  Ok, lots and lots of editing and revising!  The story needed some major work before I could even dream of sending it to a publisher.  Then I had lots of doubts.  And fears.  But the story has been completed!  It's not perfect.  I know it'll need to be edited again at some point.  But I'm proud of it.  And it's on it's way to the publisher.  We shall see what happens.

It has definitely been a journey.  Over a year of doubts, fears, writer's block, triumphs and successes.  The story has gone in so many directions it's ridiculous.  I can't even fathom how much time was spent on this story.  But overall, it's been a wonderful journey!  I wouldn't trade any moment, even those times of self-doubt, writer's block, and rewriting entire chapters.  And I know the journey's not over!  Thanks for joining me on the journey. :)

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I have a cool writer glass too! Except mine doesn't have, ahem, raspberry tea in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the glass of tea! Well done for winning the critique prize and good luck that your ms is accepted by the publisher/agent. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My glass that sits next to me is more like Rachels, tea is not included... something more like wine, ahhh, I love wine.

    Oh the writing journey, it's a wild ride isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)