Friday, October 8, 2010

Read-a-thon...

Hi!  So, I just found this the day before the 24 hour read-a-thon.  How cool is that?  It's hosted by Dewey's Read-a-Thon.

So, uh, yeah, I know I won't be able to read as much during this 24 hours as I'd like.  I have an adorable baby (AKA My Little Monkey) that won't allow for that.  But it's an awesome opportunity to get some reading in.  Here's my to-read list for the read-a-thon.  I'll be updating my thoughts about each book as I'm reading.  When I've completed a book I'll give it a star rating (with 5 stars being the highest of course!)  And check back in a few days for reviews on these books.

So, without further ado, here's my YA reading list:

6:30 am.  Monkey woke me up a little earlier than usual, but I guess that means it's time to start reading....
9:20 am.  I feel bad for Terra. Her Dad is horrible and she's waaay too self-conscious about that birthmark on her cheek.  Hopefully Jacob can speak some sense into her life...
12:00 pm.  Monkey is demanding attention.  Will return to book when he goes down for a nap.
12:45 pm.  Monkey down for a nap.  Continuing reading.
1:05 pm.  Terra, just break up with Erik already!  Jacob is waay better for you.
1:10 pm.  Monkey awake.  I'll have to wait until his 3:00 nap to continue reading.
3:10 pm.  Monkey sleeping.  Reading full speed ahead.
3:40 pm.  Monkey awake.  Whew, that was a short nap.
4:42 pm.  Chapter 29 is BEAUTIFUL!  Just a few chapters to go, but my little monkey requires a snack...
5:27 pm.  FINISHED!



5:35 pm.  Had to get my little monkey in on the read-a-thon before his naptime.  He seemed to enjoy it, especially because he could touch the cars as I was reading and the pages are thick enough for him to turn.  When I asked him how many stars we should give it, he gave me a huge grin, so I'm guessing that's a 5 star rating...

7:45 pm.  Monkey is sleeping.  Began reading.  This book is written in verse, so it shouldn't take long to read.  Nevertheless, I doubt I'll make it to City of Bones tonight.
8:25 pm.  Already half-way done with the book.  Interesting story so far, not so sure how I feel about it written in verse.  I'm tired of reading....gonna watch TV for a while.
10:42 pm.  Got sucked into the television world and now I think all the reading and my monkey have worn me out.  Off to bed I go--hopefully I'll finish this book tomorrow.  Check back Tuesday for my reviews of these YA books...



Happy reading fellow read-a-thoners!

11 comments:

  1. We're just underway
    But I wanted to say
    I know you'll do a great job today!

    Enjoy your read a thon!

    Cheerleader Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Non)traditional Buddhist readathon blessing:

    Just as the books fill the shelves,
    Pile together on the floor and stack up on the table
    So may the joy of the readathon
    Flow forth to brighten your day and lift your spirit.
    Books already read, books in progress and books yet to be read.

    By the power of every word on the page
    May your book be delightful,
    As scary as Lovecraft’s Cthulhu
    Or as sweet as a box of See’s candy.

    Let the power of the images evoked by words
    Keep you stay awake long through the night
    May no obstacle impede
    Your day filled with books.

    For all of those who are reading today
    Who follow in the path of Dewey
    May your day be filled with the four blessings
    Of fabulous books, tasty snacks, comfy chairs and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you came across a beautiful chapter! See you in a few hours, I hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disappear for a few hours and you've suddenly finished 2 more books!! You're doing amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All you fans
    in the internet stands
    give our readers
    a great big hand!!!

    Way to Go!!! You're doing great!
    Cheerleader Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading is fun, reading is great!
    Don't overdo it, take a break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing great especially with such a little one! Good job and keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, Iris, one of those books only took about 5 minutes to read. I wonder how much money writers for baby books make? Maybe I'm in the wrong field...

    Thanks all for the encouragement! The read-a-thon was fun but now I'm off to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's dance
    Let's shout
    C'mon readers, shake it out!

    Hang in there
    Without a care
    Keep on reading as long as you dare

    Keep it up, you're doing great! Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenn,

    Just swooping in to say hi. I enjoyed your readathon updates, hilarious.

    Hope you had a great weekend.

    Peace,
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love today's blog; very interesting and unique. I'm glad your Little Monkey likes his book so much too. I know it's his very favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)