I've been working on a manuscript for over a year now. And I'll admit, I thought I knew a lot about my characters. I'd done those character questionnaires, had conversations with them in my head, watched them grow and develop and stumble and fall as I wrote. And they took me on a journey, revealing things about themselves as I wrote, things I never intended for them. But I decided to take my characters to the next level. Create a collage that represented them, since I (ahem) knew them so well. And I realized I have a lot more to learn about my characters!
I dug out some magazines. (Sadly, all I had was parenting magazines, but apparently, that's all I needed!) I gathered some large index cards, some scissors and glue sticks. And after a few hours (mind you, I was interrupted by my lil monkey several times) I had a character collage for my major characters. Voila!
So how do your characters reveal themselves to you? And are there things you know about them that aren't in your story?
I've been meaning to do character collages for a while now. Maybe this weekend. Thanks for sharing yours!
ReplyDeleteOH I love your scrapbook building of each character!! Lovely!! I tend to plan less and just write and see where it takes me - great for a first draft but editing it is another matter as the inconsistences (and there are many I am discovering!!) become obvious!! So not a good thing to do!! Take care
ReplyDeletex
Wow, that is a really cool idea! I love making collages from magazines, but never even thought once to make one for my characters! You have inspired me!
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting way to do it! I've never done a collage. I think it'd be good though, because like you found, you discovered things you'd never thought of. Those kinds of details you could add to the character and make him/her more real. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat idea, I never even though of it. I definitely have things about my characters that don't appear in the stories, I just let the characters choose when it's right to reveal their secrets.
ReplyDeleteThere are always things that I know about my characters that aren't written down...I think it makes them more real to you, and therefore you write about them better.
ReplyDeleteLove the scrapbooks, great idea!
demitrialunetta.blogspot.com
Brilliant idea!
ReplyDelete