For me, cupcakes are kind of like my writerly mascot. Well, so begins the Cupcakes and Writing series. Each Wednesday another cupcake flavor will be compared to an aspect of writing. Well, until I run out of flavors, or inspiration, whichever comes first. This is the 10th cupcake and writing post. If you've missed any of the other cupcake and writing posts, check them out here. Bon appetit!
Mint: Infusing Voice Into Your Story
I love anything with a minty taste. It's such a bold and refreshing flavor. I love adding a drop of peppermint flavor to my hot chocolate in the winter, love mint chocolate chip ice cream, oh heck, anything with chocolate and mint flavor I adore. And so, it should come as no surprise, that when I tried a mint cupcake, I was in heaven.
When it comes to writing, voice is something that adds a unique flavor to any story. It's like the story itself is the cupcake and the voice is a few drops of mint flavor that infuses the entire cupcake. Yum!
I'm not an expert on writing voice, but I sure can recognize a good voice when I read one. One of my first manuscripts had alternating POVs, going back and forth between a guy and a girl's perspective as they tried to piece together a mystery. I realized early on that they sounded waaaay too similar, (even if they were both teens). So I began my work on trying to get the voices different. And I realized that by doing that, when the characters were conversing with others I didn't have to use as many speech tags, because each character had not only their own unique voice, but also phrases they used often. I think that's the way it should be. Not only a unique narrating voice, but each character should have their own unique voice. Their own flavor.
A cool tool you may want to try: The website I Write Like, analyzes your writing and compares it to a famous author. According to I Write Like (to my relief!) my character voices were different. This is what I learned:
For my female character's voice
For my male character's voice
So anyway, which famous author do you write like? And any tips on infusing voice into your story?

According to this fun analysis I write like... Neil Gaiman! LOL!!! I think writing in the first person for each character helps me with this elusive "voice"! Take care
ReplyDeletex