Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fun Things You Can Do With Pinterest

Ok, so I'll admit, there are times I'm on Pinterest for a looooong period of time.  It's kind of addicting.  And then there are times I'm not on Pinterest for a loong time.  (Notice, not so long.)  I have a love/hate relationship with the thing.  I love the ideas, the creativity, the inspiration.  But those are the same things I don't like it, because I realize I don't have much of it.  I have to steal it from others. ;)

For those of you that don't know anything about Pinterest, it's "A content sharing service that allows members to "pin" images, videos and other objects to their pinboard."  That's what Pinterest says about it, anyway.  I'll give you a better idea of what it's about by showing you a screenshot of some of my boards and pins.  You can find all my boards and pins here.



Regardless of what you like to do, you can find something you'll want inspiration for on Pinterest.  If you're a mommy, there's a plethera of kids' craft ideas, activities, fun snacks, etc.  If you love cooking or baking, you'll find lots of recipes.  If you just want to be inspired, you can make a board just of inspirational quotes.

If you're a blogger, you can drive people to your blog by pinning the pictures from your blog to Pinterest.  Then, if anyone clicks on your pin, it'll take them directly to your website.  And if they pin it to their board, chances are, their followers will see it and possibly pin it to their board, and so on.  You're growing your reach just by pinning a picture from your blog to Pinterest.  Pretty cool, huh?  If you want to learn how to make your own pin using the photo editor picmonkey, here's an awesome blog post by author Mary DeMuth about it.

If you're a reader you can post books you want to read, or have read, perhaps with a link to your review of the book if you're a book blogger.  Or, you can just have a board of fun book related things.

If you're a writer, you can have a board of writerly inspirational quotes. Or, you can create a board with images of scenes or characters from your story.  I LOVE doing this.  Before, I used magazines and scissors and glue and made character collages.  Now, I can just pin pictures I find online that help me visualize what I'm writing directly to my board.  Easy, peasy.  Whether you're published or not, I highly recommend the post by Melissa Taylor: Pinterest Marketing for Writers.

Speaking of Melisssa Taylor... if you've been on Pinterest but want to learn more cool things you can do with it, you should check out her website Pinterest-Savvy.  I've learned quite a few things from her.

So, anyone else on Pinterest?  Or are you now inspired to join?  Or still more comfortable staying away from yet another addicting online thing?

4 comments:

  1. I am so resisting getting into Pinterest!!! LOL!! But I know so many who are just loving being on it!! I say so long as you enjoy it and it makes you happy!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is MEGA addictive. I'm just now starting to try it out for getting my reviews out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a pinterest gal, and right there with you in spending waaaay too much time on it, lol! I find it a great source of inspiration for setting and characters especially. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm following you now on Pinterest Juju and Gwendolyn!

    Old Kitty, you're smart to stay away. You're so busy commenting on so many blogs, we'd be lost if you turned to Pinterest. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)