Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Harry Potter Book Review

Harry Potter series
By J.K. Rowling
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 5 stars!

In honor of the movie coming out, I decided to reread the seventh book.  In the past, I read each book as soon as it came out, devouring its contents to see what what would happen next.  The book was completed in a few hours and I was hungry for more.  This time, I decided to savor every word, image, simile and metaphor.  To look at it from a writer's standpoint.  It took me two weeks to read it this way.  And I still am hungry for more.  

Not story.  But Rowling's writing talent.  Her genius.  Accio J.K. Rowling's talent!

The story has compelling characters that make you root for them.  Characters so well constructed that you either hate them, can't decide if you love or hate him (think potions teacher), want to cry when they die (I won't spoil any secrets here!) and love them despite their flaws.

The story has plot.  Lots of it.  A page-turning plot.  Each book there's more of it.  More things you want to know about.  Is so-and-so gonna fall in love with so-and-so yet?  How is Harry gonna triumph over evil this time?!?  It's amazing how everything ties together in the end.  Little things you might not notice all have a reason and it all ties up neatly in the end.  

And I totally just realized that the owl messaging system is within Rowling's name.  Is that merely coincidence?

I realized I can go and on singing Rowling praises and marveling at the awesomeness of this series.  But I doubt you wanna read it. So I shall continue with the one problem I have with this series...

That's the darkness.  Each book gets more and more dark.  More and more evil.  More characters die in each book.  Dementors and Death Eaters become more and more prevalent.Which, in a way, I guess makes sense, as that gives the book more conflict, gives our protagonist more opposition to battle, gets the readers more absorbed into the story.  But I dunno if this is the best series for kiddos to read.  What do you think?  Is it too dark for kids?  What age range would you recommend read this book? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)