Monday, November 22, 2010

One, Two, Theme!

Another reading challenge for 2011 I'm taking part in!  Yay!  On the website where you can sign up it says "The idea of the challenge is to read about specific topics that interest you, in various degrees of detail. For theme 1 you'll read one book, for theme 2 you'll read two books, for theme 3 you'll read three books and so on."  Oh, and once you get to theme 2 and beyond, you have to read at least one fiction and one non-fiction book.  Sounds like fun to me!  Must I wait until January to start?! ;)


Here's my planned themes:
1)  psychology
-50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology: Shattering Widespread Misconceptions about Human Behavior(NF)
2) writing
-On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (NF)
-need suggestions for a good fictional book!
3) bees
-The Secret Life of Bees (F) 
-Honeybee: Lessons From an Accidental Beekeeper (NF)
-World Without Bees (NF)
4) genetics
-Genetics Demystified (NF)
-Genome (NF)
-Double Helix (F)
-Champion Maker (F)
5) cake decorating (my new, self-taught hobby)
-Cake Decorating for Dummies (NF)
-Hello Cupcake! (NF)
-Cupcake Queen (F)
-Cake Pops (NF)
-Any other cake decorating/cupcake books you'd recommend?


Anyone know of a good fictional book about writing?   Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. How about a novel where the main character is a writer? Any Human Heart by William Boyd is good. Or, there's Pale Fire by Nabookov or Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, bees, that's interesting! Makes me think of BEE SEASON and THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Falaise--all those books sound awesome! I hadn't heard of any of them before. Now I just have to figure out which one I want to read. :)

    Rachel--I agree. I keep contemplating switching bees and genetics because I keep coming across more interesting sounding books about bees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh genetics! psychology! Can't wait to see your list of books! :-) I'll bet I'll keep changing my themes, I'll get distracted by everyone else's! :-)

    You could always do writing as your level one, which requires only one book...

    Welcome to the challenge anyway and go ahead and start, I don't think I can wait either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenn, sounds to be a cool reading challenge! :) Fictional writing - would Stephen King's Misery be alright? Putting the horrible plot aside, it is a good writing story fiction as the character there is a writer and there were loads of fictional manuscript excerpts as well.

    Although I have not read The Secret Life of Bees, I heard it's also a good book. It's on my TBR shelf.

    Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny, glad you'll join us! I'll add your themes to the list asap.

    I'm doubly glad that you'll also have bees as a theme, it will be fun to share thoughts. I'll probably email you to give and take some ideas on it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)