Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Invention of Hugo Cabret

Invention of Hugo Cabret
By Brian Selznick
Genre: Fiction and graphic novel
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

The Invention of Hugo Cabret


Plot summary: (taken from back of the book) Hugo is a twelve year old orphan living in a train station in Paris, France. He has learned the trade of fixing clocks from his father, and his uncle. When his father dies in an accident, and his uncle mysteriously disappears, Hugo learns to fend for himself by fixing clocks, and stealing things he needs.
Before his father's death, his father was working on an automaton—a robot-like man that can write a message that has been stored inside. His father died making and protecting this automaton, and Hugo makes it his mission to finish the automaton, believing his father left a message for him inside.
On his journey, he steals parts from a toymaker, whom he has to repay with his services, fixing the man's toys. He learns a great deal from the toymaker, and the toymaker's daughter, and in the process, learns a secret that will change their lives forever.


Half of this story is told in words.  The other half in beautiful, elaborate pictures. I was riveted from page one. I was intrigued both by the intricate, beautiful pictures, and the captivating story. I wanted to see (literally) what would happen next to Hugo, how things would turn out for the poor orphan boy with only a dream to live on. Although it seemed hard at first to connect to the character, within a few chapters I was deeply engaged and rooting for Hugo to reach for his dreams and finally succeed.
I also found it highly educational, as I learned a great deal about clock work, french cinema, and automatons.
This story does for me what Selznick set out to do—create a cinematic story. It opened my eyes to other ways of 'reading' and the realm of human imagination that is possible for any literary piece.
Highly, highly recommended. :)



1 comment:

  1. It's been ages since I read this but I remember really loving it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)