Friday, November 19, 2010

J.K. Rowling vs. Me

So, in honor of the movie coming out TODAY, I've been rereading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  I've been reading it focusing on her writing style.  I mean, come on, she's a billionaire from all those best-selling, can't-put-this-down-until-I-know-how-it-ends books.  She's gotta be doing something right.

And then that made me realize, maybe I'm doing some stuff wrong.  Or just differently.  Which isn't necessarily bad.  Here's what I've realized so far from my rereading...


J.KRowling, Best-Selling Author vsMe



 J.KRowling
 Me
IntroKick butt awesome. And the last few books start with the antagonist so there's already conflict from the get-go.Ok. Sure, I can hook people (so I've been told) but in my stories my antagonists aren't revealed until 2/3 of the way through....is that wrong?
CharactersAlso awesome. I mean, there are characters you love, characters you hate, characters you wonder if you should love or hate. Even the Houses (Gryffindor, etc) have their own unique character!I like my characters. But then, I would hope so, since I created them. I don't hate my antagonist. In fact, I kinda feel bad for him.  Should I view him as completely evil though?
VocabularyTalk about awesome word choice. “The setting sun cast crimson pools...”, the scar “seared”, “pricked”, “throbbed,” etc. Wow, she's descriptive, but not over the top.I use vocabulary. Sometimes a cool image here, a cool word there. But not continually like Ms. Rowling
PacingWhen something bad is going on, you know it.  Words like “clinging,” “struggling”, “stumbling” abound, as do shorter sentences. When things are going well, there are longer sentences and "happier" words.Hmm, I do the shorter sentences thing when events get a little more serious for suspense. Hopefully the vocabulary thing too. But nothing to Rowling's extent.
PlotOh. My. Goodness. I don't know what she does, but you just have to keep reading to see what will happen next. Will evil overcome good, or will good triumph again? Who won't Harry be able to save this time?I know I have rising action and climax and even conflict so people should want to keep reading. Right?




Yeah, nothing like learning from the best.  I'm off to finish reading before Hubster and I go see the movie.  And to compare her writing even more with mine....we shall see if any of it translates into my future stories.

Happy Harry Potter Day!

2 comments:

  1. I'd say yes you can like your antagonist, though you should somehow introduce the antagonist as early as possible, I woud imagine. Great post :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! When I first saw your title I thought "wow she's got guts going against JK Rowling!", but now I see my mistake :)

    Re. antagonists: in my humble opinion, a bad antagonist is a good thing, but that doesn't mean he/she has to be two-dimensional, they might have reasons for doing what they do to others.

    Re. plot: she does know how to use cool tricks to get us going: forebodings and omens, ending chapters in a cliff-hanger, building tension up to an certain event, be it a Quidditch game or making us wonder when Harry is going to use his Happy Potion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)