Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Day We Met + Author Interview

 The Day We Met
By Dusti Bowling
Genre: Christian YA fiction
Rating: 5 stars

The Day We MetSummary:  "Sixteen-year-old Lenna James goes to church, attends youth group, and hangs out with the “church geeks” at school. At least, she did. Enticed by a chance with the boy she’s had a crush on for years, Lenna abandons her values and her lifelong friends to hang out with the popular crowd. What she gets in return couldn’t be further from her expectations. 

Feeling used and alone and facing an unexpected pregnancy, Lenna struggles to regain control of her life, her parents’ trust, and the love of her best friend, Will. But when her pregnancy takes an unexpected turn, taking away what little control she thought she had, she must find the strength to make the most heart-wrenching decision of all. She feels lost no matter what she chooses. Will she finally choose to look up?"


Wow.  Seriously, wow.  I must admit it is so refreshing to see an author tackle a story with such respect for how a teenager might deal with deep issues such as teen pregnancy and with a Christian flare.  I immediately could connect to Lenna's character and flew through the pages to see what would happen to her next.  I wish I could go on and on about how awesome this book is, how thought-provoking, how heartfelt, but I'm afraid I'll give something away.  So please, do yourself a favor and read this book that is as beautiful and stunning as the cover.     

Currently it's available for the Kindle for $.99.  I think it's worth every penny and more.  :)

*          *          *

And now, I'm so excited to present to you, the first author interview I've conducted on this blog.  And without any further ado, here's Dusti Bowling...



What was your inspiration for The Day We Met?

I was inspired by a friend who had a similar experience. Her story really moved me and I never could stop thinking about it. A couple of years later God put it on my heart to write this book. 

What age range is The Day We Met intended for?

It is intended for young adults, ages thirteen and up, but I have gotten a tremendous response from women as well.  

Any other writing projects in the works?

Yes, I have another Christian fiction YA novel I hope to release sometime in the next year. I also plan on releasing a couple of chapter books for younger readers before too long. 

Which author (dead or alive) would you most like to talk to and why?

This may seem like an odd choice, but I would probably choose Stephen King. With the exception of some of his older horror novels, I've read pretty much everything he's written. I love how he's created his own universe and ties most of his novels together in some way. I think he has the greatest imagination of any writer I've ever read and I think he would be incredibly interesting to talk to. 

What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

If you really love to write and are good at it, don't get discouraged by how difficult it is to get professionally published. For the first time ever, you can self-publish for very little money and get your work out there quite easily. But make sure your work is as good as it can possibly be - edit, edit, edit! And get feedback from as many people as you can. If your work is good and you put in some marketing effort, it will sell. 
 

Favorite movie?

It's a tie: The Shawshank Redemption (I don't think most people realize this was written by Stephen King) and Pride and Prejudice.

Favorite ice cream flavor?

Banana

Where can readers find out more about you and your book?

My website, www.dustibowling.com, is currently under construction but should be up and running very soon.

Well, Dusti, thanks for the interview!  I also adore Shawshank Redemption, and anyone who loves banana ice cream has got to be awesome-sauce. :)

8 comments:

  1. I've never tried banana flavoured ice cream! Maybe I should!

    Good luck with your book Dusti and thanks for a most enlightening author interview, Jenn! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also haven't tried banana ice cream, but now I'm intrigued.

      Thanks Old Kitty! I enjoyed my first author interview. :)

      Delete
  2. She sounds too cool and this book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Let me know if you read it and what you think of it! :)

      Delete
  3. As a Christian and a teenage mum, I totally relate to this book. Thanks for the review. I hope you have a lot of success with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this is a book you can relate to--those are very special books indeed. Let me know if you read it, and what you think of it! :)

      Delete
  4. It's great to see Christian YA fiction. And that cover is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I totally agree! I actually read a lot of Christian YA but don't review a lot of it, because I didn't think a lot of my followers were into it. But now, watch out followers--my Teen Reads archive will start including more Christian books. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)