Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Blogger Hop

Book Blogger HopIt's been a long time since I participated in the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Crazy for Books, so I figured I'd join in again this time around.  Though this question is tough!

The Question: Who is your favorite book character? I’ll give you a maximum of two choices, but they have to be from different genres!


Hmm, ok.  Lots of female protagonists came to mind at first, but I've figured out my answer.  It's gotta be Jonas from The Giver.  I LOVED that book when I first read it, loved Jonas' desire to really understand things around him, rather than just accept them at face value like every one else in the community.  I like how this began before he was even the Receiver, how he really thought about the words he wanted to say and which words other people use and what it really means (a trait my hubster also shares with Jonas, though in the real life situation it sometimes drives me crazy).  How Jonas thought about his friends, his parents, and how they operated.  I loved how Jonas really thought for himself, and I admire how he uses what he learns to do what is right, despite all the sacrifices it'll cost him at the tender age of 12.

And this could just be me, but I think all the other protagonists in dystopian novels follow a lot of the same patterns.  It is their thirst for understanding their society that makes them stand out, and enables the plot to move forward.



All right, your turn.  Do you think protagonists from dystopian novels are similar?  

And who is your favorite book character(s)?

6 comments:

  1. I love The Giver and you bring an interesting point. I'm not sure I agree but you've got me thinking. Sometimes the protagonist is just trying to survive and the plot moves forward from there but you're right in that many times the protagonist is thirsty for more knowledge. Thanks for leaving me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point--sometimes it is their need for survival that begins their journey, but it does include them seeking to understand their society and how it truly works first.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I want to read this now!! Sounds good!!

    I think for me The dystopian novel for me (not YA, sorry) is George Orwell's 1984.

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I think they are all similar!
    Happy Friday :)

    New email follower (amugglesmagicalbookblog at yahoo).

    The Muggle
    Nominate Your Book Boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping on through. I've never heard of that book. I'm a new follower :)


    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brain didn't even think of The Giver! Great choice!

    My hop response

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)