I've mentioned before I love cupcakes. For me, cupcakes are kind of like my writerly mascot. Well, so begins the Cupcakes and Writing series. Each Wednesday another cupcake flavor will be compared to an aspect of writing. Well, until I run out of flavors, or inspiration, whichever comes first. Bon appetit!
Red Velvet: The Messy Writing Journey
Lately I've been thinking a lot about writing. We get an idea and we start brainstorming and typing away. And then, when you look back at it, all you can see is the mess of the rough draft and the doubts creep in. You're proud you have something on paper, and that it has the potential to be something great. But all you can see is the red food coloring on your counter and fingers and you wonder if it was worth it all.
The same goes for later on in your writing journey. You get a critique that brings about doubts and insecurities about your story. Or another form rejection pops up among your email. For me personally, it's easy to let the stains of those things keep me from writing for anywhere from minutes to months. And I focus on the mess, and not the cupcake that's been baking for a while now, it's awesome aroma making my mouth water. I focus on the bad and not the joy that has been my journey. My growth.
The same goes for later on in your writing journey. You get a critique that brings about doubts and insecurities about your story. Or another form rejection pops up among your email. For me personally, it's easy to let the stains of those things keep me from writing for anywhere from minutes to months. And I focus on the mess, and not the cupcake that's been baking for a while now, it's awesome aroma making my mouth water. I focus on the bad and not the joy that has been my journey. My growth.
And then, oh my goodness, I have a flash of brilliance and my fingers are flying over the keyboard. Or I push through the mess and start spreading some of that cream cheese awesomeness on top of that WIP that's been sitting in a drawer for a while.
It's time we frost our manuscripts. We need to let go of the stains and the mess on the counter and enjoy the baked goodness of a moist red velvet cupcake with that awesome cream cheese frosting on top.

Love how it's not just any ol cupcake but Red Velvet Cupcake with extra cream and heart! That's what I want my writing to be! Velvetty scrummy, gorgeous and morish! Sigh!!!
ReplyDeleteTake care
x
I just liked that pic, but that's a great point about the heart. :)
DeleteGreat comparison. And now I need a cupcake. Ha!
ReplyDeleteHaha. Sorry. I had to have something sweet after I wrote that post. No cupcakes here. :(
DeleteIs it wrong that I want to lick the screen?
ReplyDeleteBwahahaha! Great idea for a series. :) I agree, let's fogus on the baking cupcake, not the mess!
Angela
Haha, my mouth was watering when I wrote that post, so I can totally relate. I had to raid the pantry for something sweet after writing it.
DeleteGlad you like the series idea. I'm excited about it. :)