Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cupcakes and Writing: Chocolate

I decided to combine two of my favorite things, cupcakes and writing, and each Wednesday another cupcake flavor will be compared to an aspect of writing.  Well, until I run out of flavors, or inspiration, whichever comes first.  Bon appetit!   

If you've missed any of the first four Cupcakes and Writing posts in the series, you can find them in the archive here.

Chocolate:  Hooking Your Readers

Mmm. Delicious, creamy chocolate. When things get tough, that's where I turn. When I'm frustrated, I grab a few pieces of chocolate. Bored? Unwrap a few Hershey kisses. Stressed? A little hot fudge drizzled on my ice cream. Happy? Time to celebrate with (what else?!) chocolate. And of course, chocolate cupcakes are up there as one of my faves. The hubster knows this. He knows if his wife is getting a little emotional, throw her a few chocolates and run.  To put it simply: I am a chocoholic. I am addicted to the stuff.

How is that any addiction starts?  Something grabs hold of you.  You like it.  Before long, you need it to function.  You may or not be aware of it's hold on you, but it makes you feel good, and you know when it's been a while since you've had it.

When we write a story, we want to write something that captures the attention of our readers.  We want them to become addicted to the story, to NEED to know what's going to happen next, just like I think I "need" chocolate.  To get their reading fix with YOUR book and not someone else's.  

I've lost count of how many times I've rewritten my intro.  I've changed POV's and started with different scenes.  I am in no way an expert on how to write an intro that "hooks" readers, but I've found that I prefer intros where I can immediately identify with the protagonist and where they're thrown into action immediately.

It seems there are so many ways to begin a story, and everyone has different opinions about what to do and what not to do.  So, if you're struggling with your intro, struggling to hook your readers, I highly recommend you read Les Edgerton's Hooked.  It's a fabulous book for not only helping you write that captivating intro, but to keep the momentum going throughout your book and write a compelling story.

One that could be as addicting as chocolate. :)

What tips do you have on writing an intro that "hooks" readers?

6 comments:

  1. Ah, to write books that are addicting! How cool would that be. I have a long way to go before I reach that pinnacle of achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for chocolate infused intros! I truly don't have any tips for starting an intro - but thinking in chocolate terms truly helps! Thanks Jenn! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helps! I figured I wasn't the only one addicted to chocolate, right? ;)

      Delete
  3. HOOKED is such a great book. I'm about to start a new WIP soon ans plan to go back to HOOKED to make sure I'm starting in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Good luck on your new WIP! :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)