I find this quote interesting, since I think we're raised to dislike the villains and root for the princess or the hero or whoever happens to be the "good" person in a story. I know many a writer who has struggled with creating their villains. I am one of those writers.
I looked up the definition on dictionary.com and they seem just as confused about it as well. One definition says a villain is "an evil character in a story", another says "a character who opposes the protagonist, whether intentionally or unintentionally". In my WIP, my villain isn't out to destroy the world. He isn't evil. He's just a disillusioned guy who thinks he's trying to do good. But since he's unintentionally opposing the protagonists, he's a villain.
Who's your favorite villain? For me, it has to be Snape from Harry Potter. I guess Voldemort is the evil villain, but Snape is one too since there are times when he opposes Harry and his friends. I think what I love so much about him is I never was sure if he was a bad guy or a good guy. I saw glimpses of both in him. And I think that's what makes him intriguing. He wasn't all evil. There were times he'd help Harry out. And that's what makes him so unique.
So, your turn. What do you think about villains? And who's your favorite?


Snape is a great character! He's a true enigma isn't he?! I do like the ambivalent villain! But I also like really bad villains! I just watched 101 Dalmatians and love Cruella De Ville - Glenn Close and the cartoon version! She's so BAD, she's fun! And looking at Alan Rickman - I did like his version of the bad Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood!
ReplyDeleteTake care
x
I agree with you -- a villain will always think they're the good guy, no matter how depraved they are, and some aren't all that bad. I like villains who are dark and dangerous, but also have a human side -- they experience grief, disappointment, guilt, etc. :-)
ReplyDeleteO definitely Snape. I love villains that make me feel for them.
ReplyDeleteI love me some Snape!... and villains in general
ReplyDelete