Friday, January 18, 2013

Giving Characters Personality

I must admit, I love psychology.  I minored in it in college, my all-time favorite psychology class being Personality and the Mind.  We learned about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicators, which is a "questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences and how people perceive the world and make decisions".  I love taking those Myers-Briggs Personality Tests and learning which personality type I am.  (Just in case you're interested, I'm an INFP, meaning I'm Introverted, I perceive the world with my iNtuition, and I make decisions based on my Feelings and Perceptions)  If you've never taken it and would like to learn your personality type, check out this online questionnaire!

The hubster and I had an argument the other day and when it came time to resolve it, we realized the reason for our miscommunication and hurt feelings is because I was relying on the "FP" part of my personality (feeling and perceiving) and the hubster on his "TJ" (or thinking and judging).


That got me thinking about my own characters.  I know they have conflict, but does their conflict stem from their personalities and the personalities of the other characters?  Or is it just random conflict?

I decided to give my main characters the Myers Briggs test.  I found this website had a much more helpful list of questions to help me figure out my characters' personality types than just a long list of questions.  Figuring out each main character's personality type was such a cool experience, because I learned things about my characters along the way as I tried to figure out how they would answer the questions.  I then recorded my results. It helped me flesh out my characters a little more and add some realistic elements to the conflict between my characters.

Why didn't I think of this before?!?

Anyone else wanna share their Myers-Briggs type?  Or wanna use this tool to understand their characters a little more?  I'd love to hear about it!


2 comments:

  1. Jenn, this is such an excellent post! I'm going to run one of my characters through this test :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea about using myers-briggs to help develop characters! I loved studying this in college too - so fascinating. Ps. I'm an INFJ :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)