Saturday, February 2, 2013

Writing The "Dreaded" Synopsis

Will Phil the Pennsylvanian groundhog, see his shadow today?  He did not.  (Such a weird American tradition, to rely on a rodent for determining when spring will arrive.)

Will I continue to avoid writing a synopsis for the manuscript I'm querying?  Nope.  Not anymore!

 synopsis |səˈnäpsis|noun ( pl. synopses |-ˌsēz| )-A brief summary or general survey of something: a synopsis of the accident.-An outline of the plot of a book, play, movie, or episode of a television show.


I avoided the dreaded thing for a long time.  I mean, I'm not the one who coined the term "dreaded synopsis" so obviously I'm not in this boat all by myself.  I figured if other writers dread it, then I have the right to as well.  I made sure to query only the agents who didn't require a synopsis.  Yep, I'll admit it.  And once again, I don't think I'm in this boat by myself.

So anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and figure out how to fit my entire manuscript into a 500 word, one page summary.   How do you even write a synopsis?!?  And how do you make it sound compelling?

So, I did some research, and if you're in the process of writing your own synopsis (or need to stop avoiding writing it like me), you may find these links to be super helpful:


So, anyway, it took me two hours to write a decent synopsis.  It still needs some tweaking, but the point is, I DID IT!!  And it wasn't such a horrible, dreadful task. ;)

Anyone else need to write their synopsis?  
Or if you have written it, what advice to you have to share?

3 comments:

  1. It is the season of the synopsi? synopsises? Whatever. Thank you for sharing your struggle with us all and the wonderful links. I thought your post was great so I shared the link on my blog.
    http://simplyscribblings.blogspot.ca/2013/02/bloggedy-love.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote one for my WIP recently and it was hard! But I got through it and I think it's pretty decent. :)

    Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the easiest way to write a synopsis, is to write out your plot in outline form, then take away the outline numbers and letters. And then of course, I tried to go back and inject my writing personality into it. ;-) Great job, Jenn! Cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)