"Who in their right mind will want to read this?"
"What should I be blogging about?"
I was having a blogger identity crisis. So I talked to the hubster about it. And he basically told me, 'You're overthinking everything. Just blog about what you want. Don't worry about what others think about it or about what other bloggers are doing.' Ok. Easier said than done.
Then I read an awesome post by Amanda Medlin that reinforced what hubster said, but which for some reason was much more motivating for me (sorry hubster). The post "When You Struggle to Find Your Niche" was exactly what I needed to read and get me inspired.
Here's her three main points:
1) Stop overthinking and just write. (Yeah, exactly what the hubster said).
2) Stop looking to other blogs to define yours. (Sounds like what hubster was saying).
3) Break some rules!
Fine. I can take a hint. I'm finding my niche and making my blog reflect it. Here's what it looked like before:
I'm resolved to boldly blog and post about the things I care about. And if you happen to care about it too, then awesome. If not, well, at least I had fun writing the post. :)
![]() |
| www.bloggiesta.com |
So, here's my goals for the Bloggiesta fiesta:
Update social media icons
Write and schedule at least 2 blog posts One down, one to go!
I'm not expecting to accomplish them all this weekend, but they will all get done. And I'll be sure to have plenty of chips and salsa during the festivities. Con queso.
Anyone else participating in the blogging festivities? Or have experience with blogging renovations and finding blogging niches and have advice to share?


I've been following the same rules myself lately... I used to have to do every blog hop I could find, and participate in all the memes... until I stopped and thought, "Uh, why? I'm not enjoying this..." so now I participate in ones who have questions that I'm interested in the answers too... and I just blog about what I've been reading, or interesting book articles that I think people might like. Will I have a million followers? Nope... but that's ok, most of the book review requests are for books I'm not interested in reading anyhow... I do better off selecting my own and moving at my own pace.
ReplyDeleteI applaud you for taking the time to realize you've got to just do your own thing... as a reader, I appreciate seeing something different and unique on a blog anyways. It's pretty annoying to read week after week of the same memes with people answering questions the exact same way because everyone is just hepped up on what's trending.
Break from the pack! I'll be here to read what you've got to say!!
:)
http://littlesqueed.blogspot.com/
Bravo! I had to make that step recently too. I think the bloggers that stand the test of time must adapt. I'm proud of you.
ReplyDeleteI love the blog look, Jenn. I've also been discouraged with blogging lately, mainly because my writing time is shrinking and any projects I spend away from my manuscripts (like blogging) are just chores. Sigh. But I don't want to quit. I've made some great writing friendships/connections through blogging. But I may relax on the frequency of blog posts, even though it may kill my traffic. ;-) Bless you! I always enjoy reading your blogs.
ReplyDeleteThis is all such great advice, and I truly think that if you find the right voice and focus for your blog you'll find the right audience. I hope Bloggiesta will be a great help for you in coming back to enjoy your blog. I think we all occasionally go through moments where blogging seems like work instead of fun, but it's definitely possible to power through.
ReplyDeleteGood advice.. the hard thing about that for me is that I am interested in a lot of different books, and genres. I also love video games and review them as well and I am sure that turns off some of my readers who aren't interested in that. Good luck in bloggiesta! Here is my Bloggiesta List
ReplyDeleteAngie
I always find that this event comes around at a good time - a time when I tend to be feeling a bit underwhelmed by my blog. But after a whole weekend of working on the blog, along with so many others doing the same thing, I walk away feeling re-energized about blogging. When I first started blogging, I thought I had to post something every day and do all the memes and blog hops. I've finally stopped feeling that way. I do the memes I want, when I want and post when I post. This is a hobby for me and I want it to continue to be something I enjoy doing.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with finding your niche and getting your to-do list done!!!
~Kristin @ Always With a Book
Thank you all for the encouragement! So glad to know I am not the only one who has ever struggled with this.
ReplyDeleteHappy blogging all!
Well I am loving your cupcake themed blog header!!! :-)Yay for you!! It's your blog and your little bit of personal internet space that is all yours so you just make it your home!
ReplyDeleteTake care
x
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love using Bloglovin! Check that out for a feed reader!
ReplyDeleteHere is my Bloggiesta To Do List! http://loveatfirstbook.com/bloggiesta-2013
I agree with Rebecca. I LOVE BlogLovin' (she is also the one to recommend it). Good luck with all of your posts, and I love the header, too!
ReplyDeleteI hope you check out my Bloggiesta To Do List or join my mini-challenge about getting involved!
I think it's a great idea to adapt and change and break the rules :) Whatever it takes to keep it fresh! So, good for you! Have a fantastic Bloggiesta weekend and good luck with your goals!
ReplyDeleteHi Jenn, I often have a blog identity crisis as well. Mine started as a way to cope with my chronic illness and so just wrote about the things that make me happy, my "small victories" in everyday life as an employee, wife, mother and patient. Lately, books and my love of reading has totally taken over my blog. So although my blog title doesn't reflect it, I consider myself a book blogger.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on getting some of your goals accomplished this weekend! I participated in the same 2 mini-challenges as you and worked on my About Me page. Why is writing about myself harder than most other blog posts? Here's my Bloggiesta Goals and Updates List if you'd like to stop by...http://momssmallvictories.com/bloggiesta-2013-goals/
I agree with the goal - just write what you want to write. You shouldn't worry about what other people think of it. If they like what you've written, they'll follow. :)
ReplyDeleteMy Bloggiestia
I've really enjoyed reading your blog! I especially love your cupcakes and writing series. I've struggled with the same issues too, though, and came to the same conclusion - to blog about whatever interests me and not to over-think it.
ReplyDelete