The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
by Rick Riordan
book one, The Lightning Thief
Genre: Fantasy
My Rating: 5 stars!

I think I devoured this entire series. It's an incredible journey, a hero's quest for teens that is not only pure entertainment, but also educational. I mean, what a cool way to learn more about Greek mythology!
Percy is such an ordinary, likable guy. An excellent narrator (read: great voice Mr. Riordan!). Percy finds out that he's really not that ordinary, he's half human, half Greek god. You'll pull for him as he tries to save the world from greedy gods and massive monsters, and return Zeuss' stolen lightning bolt before war totally breaks out on Mount Olympus.
Now, I'll admit I love Harry Potter--another fantasy novel where an ordinary kid finds out he's not so ordinary, he's a wizard. But I absolutely adore Percy Jackson. Riordan did such an incredible job of merging Percy's story and mythological stories that I'm in awe of his skill.
I look forward to reading Riordan's new series (The Red Pyramid is the first book) about Egyptian mythology...I don't know much about Egyptian mythology, so it should be interesting.
But the point is, the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series is awesome!
Anyone else read it? Or anyone interested in reading it now? Anyone see the movie and agree the book is WAY better than the movie (as is usually the case)?
I haven't seen it or the movie but it does look interesting. Thanks for the review.
ReplyDeleteCD
I saw the movie, and I read where in the movie, the hero is older than in the books. But the movie was excellent.
ReplyDeleteLater this afternoon, I'm posting an excerpt from my YA urban fantasy, CAPTAIN OUTRAGEOUS, a mix of STAND BY ME meets THE TWILIGHT ZONE -- where a 13 year old street kid tries to survive the strange goings-on after Hurricane Katrina.
Could you check it out and see what you think? I added to your followers by one -- but every friend at your back counts, right? Roland
Clarissa, glad you enjoyed the review. Let me know if you decide to read it, what you think of it.
ReplyDeleteRoland, yep, in the movie, the hero is at least 16 (able to drive) but in the first book he's only 12. And I'm heading over now to check out your book--it definitely sounds intriguing. :)
Hi Jenn! Thanks so much for finding and following my blog. I look forward to more visits to your site, too!
ReplyDeleteMy son loved this series, and he keeps telling me I have to read it. He has all the books, so as soon as I get to the bottom of my to-read pile...
Have a fab afternoon!
I read the books and loved them! I was very angry about the movie, though. It went too far away from the book and it didn't need to. Unimpressed, to say the least, with that. I devoured the first four books in less than a week. Though it doesn't knock Harry Potter down on my list, it comes in right below it.
ReplyDeleteGreat review - I'd heard his new series was supposed to be good as well (as you said, too). After your review, I think I'll bump them up on my wish list. Thanks!
ReplyDelete