Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Unwind


Unwind
by Neil Shusterman

Genre: Science Fiction

My rating:  4 1/2 stars

Plot Summary: "In a society where unwanted teens are salvaged for their body parts, three runaways fight the system that would "unwind" them.
Connor's parents want to be rid of him because he's a troublemaker. Risa has no parents and is being unwound to cut orphanage costs. Lev's unwinding has been planned since his birth, as part of his family's strict religion. Brought together by chance, and kept together by desperation, these three unlikely companions make a harrowing cross-country journey, knowing their lives hang in the balance. If they can survive until their eighteenth birthday, they can't be harmed -- but when every piece of them, from their hands to their hearts, are wanted by a world gone mad, eighteen seems far, far away."
Summary taken from back of book.



Whew!  This was an intense book that I DEVOURED in two days because I just HAD to know what was gonna happen.  

The story itself is fascinating.  It's told in third person, but each chapter focuses on different people. It mostly goes back and forth between the three main characters, but occasionally we get to see the perspective of a police officer, a parent, another unwind, etc. Seeing all the different perspectives allows us to get a better picture of what is going on, as we are taken on a journey in which we learn more and more about what actually happens when someone is unwound.

The characters are all well developed and regardless of whether they were a likeable character or not, as a reader I was pulling for all of them to survive to eighteen. There were several plot twists that kept me glued to the story and the technology mentioned kept the story exciting as well.

This book is intense and a little disturbing, not only because of the plot and plot twists, but also the deep issues that are rooted in this book that get you thinking.  The teens talk about deep things such as what will happen to their souls when they are unwound, if they will exist afterwards, and when life truly begins. This topic relates closely to abortion and the death penalty, sensitive subjects for many people. The book also includes themes that get you thinking about organ donation and harvesting, dealing with unwanted pregnancies, and sacrificing children to be unwound for religious reasons.


Despite the heaviness that some people may find from these embedded themes, the story itself is very interesting.  I would not recommend this for squeamish or younger readers.   The book talks often about body parts being salvaged for others to use, and how these body parts still contain the life of the person they were taken from. There is even a chapter in which a boy is unwound and we get to finally see the process. I found the chapter fascinating, yet chilling, and I'll admit my heart started beating a little faster, but squeamish readers may find it way too intense.

Overall, highly recommended.  Thought provoking, spellbinding, edge of your seat stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds like quite a lot of controversial topics in one book! I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to tackle any of those in my own writing...

    I used to get annoyed with books that alternated between different characters' points of view - just when you get into one story, it shifts you to another! But I see the value of being able to give a more rounded picture of events (and to keep readers hanging on!). And now that I'm writing I see how useful it is to be able to show events from different perspectives. Several months into my manuscript I went back and changed the whole thing from 1st person to 3rd, just so I'd have that flexibility :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)