"I love this part of the process," Stephen King says about revision in his awesome book "On Writing. A Memoir of the Craft."
I don't. Or at least I didn't. I've written 5 drafts of my WIP. Drafts as in not just little changes here or there, but major chunks taken out, new chunks written in. Major rewrites. And then the endless editing....
"What I'm looking for is resonance," says the King. "Something that will linger for a little while in the Constant Reader's mind (and heart) after he or she has closed the book and put it up on the shelf."
Resonance, huh? When talking to my hubby about my WIP he didn't even remember a scene I thought was absolutely AMAZING. He didn't pick up on one of my themes I was SURE was embedded deeply within the story. Great. Just great. So much for resonance.
"As I rewrite I'm asking myself the Big Questions. The biggest: Is this story coherent? And if it is, what will turn coherence into song? What are the recurring elements? Do they entwine and make a theme? What's it all about Stevie, and what can I do to make those underlying concerns even clearer?"
Fine, Stevie. I get what you're saying. I want to cry, but I get it.
My story needs major surgery. Not just little pieces here and there changed. I pretty much need to start over. I need to switch from first person to third person POV. I need to add more character depth, more character motivation. I need my villain to play a much bigger part in the story. I need to (sob!) kill one of my characters.
I need to stop clinging to what the story is and embrace all that it can be.
Sure, there are pieces here and there from my manuscript I can use. But I'm in mourning. I thought I was done with this story. Ready for the querying process. I envisioned it as the next YA bestseller. Instead, it's just the foundation for something better. I'm excited about where the story is going. Sad I have to start over. Fearful it'll take me another year in a half and I'll still have something unpublishable to show for it.
But like the King says, I want resonance. And this is the only way it'll happen.
Awwwwww and so your wip shall resonate with resonance!!!!!! Good for you!!!! Good for Mr King to sing to your writerly heart and get you to make your wip even more sparkly than it is!!
ReplyDeleteI think you are doing the bravest thing of all and wading into your wip emboldened by change for the better!!! You're ready to rock! take care and good luck!! x
Hang in there! It’s a brave thing, writing a book and I admire you for it :)
ReplyDeleteIf you need someone else’s opinions, feel free to drop me a line. Maybe it’s more honest between strangers?
Hey Jenn,
ReplyDeleteI have a few scripts in the graveyard of learning curve stories. I too have had to start the story from scratch-y sweater-ola. But, & I really, truly hope this is the case, I'm not repeating the guffaws, the gaps or the downright bad ideas.
You'll do awesome, I'm certain. And know that we writers never cry alone.
Patti
Thanks all for the encouragement. It's much appreciated. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, major stuff there! Kudos to you for your persistence and bravery. Well, I've heard it say the first few novels are practice, so there--you're one down already. (I mean, if you do such a major rewrite, it's almost like doing novel #2, right??) Good luck, girl!
ReplyDeleteJenn you are accomplishing so much! Great job and keep at it :-) Can't wait to read the book someday!
ReplyDelete