Now, I must admit...
I Read Banned Books.

I even have this bag that says so. You can get one for you too!
I'm not a huge fan of banning books. I used to teach middle school English before being a stay-at-home mom and I found it unfair that because a parent was not comfortable with their child reading a certain book that it meant that no student could read that book. As a parent I totally understand not wanting your child to be exposed to things you don't approve of, but I don't feel it gives you the right to put those values on other people's children as well.
In fact, my first year teaching, The Giver was part of our curriculum. I LOVED teaching that book and most of my students loved it too. And then it was banned from our curriculum. We could have it in our school library, and I would recommend it to my students but I could no longer teach it.
There are some great classics that have been banned from curriculums and some great reads that have been banned from libraries, such as the Harry Potter series (irreligious), The Lord of the Rings trilogy (irreligious), The Hunger Games (too violent), James and the Giant Peach (socially offensive), and Speak (too graphic).
So, what do you think of the idea of banning books from schools?
I'm ok with banning. If it's a book a parent is concerned with their children being exposed to, I'm ok with that. As a parent, if my child comes up to me and asks me for a book they can't find at school, I can just buy it for them. :)
ReplyDeleteExcellent point. I'm sure Baby Whimsy will be asking for lots of books to read. :)
DeleteI remember reading the Giver at school (the only real book from school that I absolutely loved). Sometimes the books they ban are because of silly things (take Harry Potter). I'm not a big fan of banned books, but I suppose what the content is to what the age of the child is.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked The Giver too! It's not like I go out of my way to read banned books, I just read what I want to and then feel sad if it is banned. Though I will definitely ensure my kiddos only read what I think is appropriate for their age level and maturity.
DeleteI'm with you, Jenn! People should be able to read books that the government, community, schools or even family disagree with, and form their own opinions. If a parent is worried about their kid reading a certain book, they should discuss it with them, and encourage them to recognize what is wrong with the story or author's worldview. I've never read "Speak", but my jaw dropped at the other books. Harry Potter??? Wow.
ReplyDeleteNever ban books, no, no, no!! :-)
ReplyDeleteI love your bag!!! Yay! Take care
x