Saturday, July 6, 2013

Spiritual Victory

The last couple of years, rather than making a list of New Years Resolutions I know I won’t be able to keep longer than a week or so, I instead seek God about a word, or theme He wants me to focus on for that year. The first year I did this the word He gave me was ‘intentional’. I learned more about what it meant to be an intentional wife, mother, woman of God, housewife, etc. But for the last three years in a row, when I seek God about my word for the year, it’s always the same.

‘Victory’.


VictoryNoun. 1: the overcoming of an enemy or antagonist 2: achievement of mastery or success in a struggle or endeavor against odds or difficulties
 -Merriam-Webster Dictionary



The first area I felt I needed God’s victory was in my confidence level. I had a lot of insecurities that manifested itself in way too many areas in my life. It’s still a struggle, but I felt like I had a much better handle on it. So I was surprised when the following year, when I asked Him what word to focus on for the year He said it again.

‘Victory.’

I'm learning that God sent Jesus to die on the cross not just for our sins or so that we could go to heaven, but so that we would spiritual victory in EVERY aspect of our lives.

Just when I think I’ve learned about victory and about areas God wants me to experience victory, He shows me another area where I need to seek and experience spiritual victory.

Along the journey I not only have learned a lot about myself and what God wants for me, I’ve come across women who are struggling with the same things I have. And I realized I’m not alone. The things I’ve been learning about spiritual victory other women need to learn too.

And so, little me, (who feels far from victorious or worthy) began writing a Bible study currently titled "Savoring Victory".  Addressing how God wants us to experience victory from our guilt, our sin, our insecurities, our idols, our past hurts, our negative emotions, and so much more.

I'm ready to taste the victory.  What about you?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Yes, life has a way of presenting many opportunities to experience spiritual victory. Constantly. It's definitely ongoing, and we could use this word (victory) for the rest of our lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Love this. I'm reminded of Revelation 3:21 where Jesus says, "To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne". Yes, God wants us to have the victory in every aspect of life. I'm cheering you on, Jenn! Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Gwendolyn! That means a lot. And I LOVE that verse. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this topic. I can't wait to read yours! :)